Thursday, March 6, 2008

A lot of rambling

On February 12th, I took my 18 year old sister and we went and voted for the very first time. She seemed as excited about the process as I was, though in a much more subtle way. I know she voted in a democratic race, but she will not tell me who she voted for. I have a suspicion that she voted for Obama but I think it speaks of her growing maturity that she realizes how important this process is to our future and values her decision. I am proud of her and I hope she knows that we had a hand in whatever the outcome turns out to be.
I still have my "I voted" sticker on the bag that I took to New Hampshire with me. The bag that holds so many great memories, including a "Stop Global Warming Sticker," coffee stains from the morning that I fell asleep holding my coffee cup which then ended up in the bag, pen marks from when I was waving my pen around while talking about my annoyance with Rudy (I cant clean that mark off....oh Rudy, How I miss thee!!! haha).
Because of the trip to NH to observe the primary process, I feel that I have gained such an insight on how important this election process really is. I knew that I wanted to always be in an informed citizen, voting on issues that would shape my future, but I did not realize how greatly this trip would benefit me as an individual. At work, my boss refers me to the costumers as the 'Political Junkie" and "Obama girl wannabe." He always brings in articles from news papers and magazines that mention Obama, and we even began to read a book called "The Bound Man: Why we are so excited about Obama and why he will not win." (Needless to say I do not agree with the book but it is very interesting reading a Black mans perspective on why our nation still votes on issues of color....hopefully something we are moving past, but still a sad reality.)
One has to be a very open minded person in order to be able to surround themselves with people who are not just diverse in race or ethnicity but instead diverse in political and religious beliefs. I believe that this is also a very hard thing to do, people do not want to be disagreed with.
I know that I have friends who have a different position on political issues, and I know that I do not want to bring politics up with them. I can not expect to change their beliefs and would be offended if they wanted to do that to me,and so I think it is a lot easier to talk politics with people who at least share a basic similarity on political issues (not saying this is the right thing, just the easier choice).

Results of Tuesdays Election........ I am left a little SHOCKED!
While in NH Professor GP and Muir stressed the importance of the role that Media played in the election process, and I think I have been noticing it more and more. I went to sleep thinking that Obama had lost Ohio but it was ok because he had won Texas. I woke up to a whole other story. But what was shocking was the huge deal they were making the election to be. "She is back from the dead!" they kept repeating about Clinton and making the situation look very scary for Barack (I am not doubting that they did the same thing for the last 12 elections that Hillary lost to Obama....but maybe I am a little more biased about this!) But the fact remains that Clinton only received 4 more delegates than Obama did, but you'll never hear that on the news. They like the exaggerate this results so much that we don't even know what is really going on.

To quote Toi..."now I'm just rambling!" haha I guess that's what you get when you wait to post and you have so much to say you don't know where to start and go to...... I need a couple more posts before I get everything out of my head and onto this blog!
By the way, I AM STOKED ABOUT THE REUNION TONIGHT!
See you soon,
Homa

No comments: