Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Hillary

So, it not much of a secret to anyone who went on the trip that I am a republican. Despite that, I feel the need to defend Hillary Clinton in one specific aspect....her attire. Yesterday in one of my classes we were talking about her choice of attire. The majority of the class was bashing her because they said that she wasnt wearing appropriate clothing because she "did not look presidential". Some people made fun of the blue turchoise necklace and the brown suit she wore at the debate in California.
Who can say what is the correct attire for a female running for president?
I believe that there is no guideline for what she can and cannot wear mainly because she is the very first female to run. Now im not saying that she can wear jeans but I dont think because she wore a blue necklace and a brown suit makes that she looks unpresidential...am I wrong?

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Nope Alice, I definitely agree with you there. It's like what we were talking about up in New Hampshire when there had been that previous debate where the candidates had to say one thing they liked and one thing they didn't like about each other and Obama said he didn't like Hillary's suit. I mean this is the first time there has been a significant woman presidential candidate and there's no real precedent for how she should dress. Pants suits, skirt suits, the fact that there's debate about what she should be wearing disturbs me. Again, it's not like she's wearing jeans and a sweatshirt and there's no woman president to compare her to in regards to say whether she looks presidential. The closest thing you could come to comparing what she wears with is probably what first ladies wear, and, surprise surprise, she's been there!
I'm sure to some people this sort of thing really, really matters, but the idea of someone basing their vote on how a candidate is dressed is mind-boggling. A Candidate needs to be judged by their substance, not appearance, and yes, that goes for race and gender too (though that is a bit more complicated and important then clothes).

Raine Rodokanakis said...

Hey! I'm in that class with you. I agree and somewhat disagree with you. I don't think there is a standard for her to be judged because she is the first woman running however, I do feel that maybe she should have thought before and not have worn something so eye catching. It could go both ways, eye catching to bring attention on her and get more people to look at her or it could be bad being too showy and she should have toned it down. Either way its hard to say there is a specific standard for how she should dress..

Maybe Hillary should just show up in the same pant suit as Obama next time and see what people say then!

jmiller said...

I think when people have to start judging presidential candidates by their attire we have a problem. There has not been a serious woman candiate for President before, so no we don't have a "rubric" for what she should wear. I understand that our President needs to dress the part but I think Hiliary does a fine job of picking her clothes. I guess she could look to Andrea Merkel for inspiration in Germany...but as a former First Lady and as a current US Senator I'm sure Hillary know's how to match a jacket with a blouse. If someone starts to critize Hillary's attire again...maybe they should apply for her wardrobe coordinator...they'll probably fail the background check though.