Tuesday, January 8, 2008

What an experience here at the New Hampshire Primary!!!

I came to the New Hampshire’s presidential candidate campaign with an open mind to learn more about each candidate from both the republican and democratic political parties. I don’t belong to a particular party so I have looked at the candidates that I was able to meet through a neutral lens in order to observe their personalities and eloquence, learn about their professional and personal experience, as most importantly to understand their message and see if I could envision them as the next President who will bring about the changes that many Americans are hoping for.
Voters come from different backgrounds and levels of social class; they have different interests, views, personal and social beliefs, as well as expectations from the future President. These differences were very visible in the audience of the candidates’ rallies that our group witnessed. I must say that I was surprised to find that New Hampshire’s population isn’t at all diverse as it is back home in the DC Metropolitan area. I should travel a little more inside the country. J I would say that 99% of the population is white. Although race was the common denominator among the audiences, I found some clear differences, such as age, family structure, religious orientation, and social class to some extend. For example, I found Giuliani’s audience to be an older crowd of middle upper and high class. McCain’s audience was mainly composed of military veterans and their families, as well as a mixed age crowd of adults. I noticed that although Clinton’s audience was diverse in age and sex, the number of women dominated the crowd. Huckabee’s audience seemed to be composed of lower to middle class families of different ages, as well as religious practicing people. The most diverse in age, gender, race, and family type in my opinion was Obama’s audience; I saw the most minority groups in his rally than I have seen in the entire trip. Romney’s audience was highly composed of well-dressed families, which in their majority had more than one child. IThese differences had me reflect on the accuracy of the polls’ results that we saw in Iowa and that we are soon to see here in New Hampshire. Would these results really predict the future presidential candidate for each party? It is evident that each candidate has to be ready to target the different audiences that populate the various cities they have to campaign. I can’t wait to see the NH results tonight. My prediction is that Obama will win for the Dem party and McCain for the Rep party. Best luck to all candidates and I pray for the President who is going to get the job done.

1 comment:

Matt Webster said...

NH Trip
I really enjoyed this trip to New Hampshire. I met majority of the candidates from both sides of the spectrum (Republican & Democrat) and I made a whole bunch of new friends. We had such an experience going to each rally and really experiencing first hand what each candidate stood for. I was able to see the key role of media in politics and was also able to understand how celebrities and popular people had the pull of different people. This was an experience mostly because of how up close we were able to get to each of the candidates. I was able to shake hands and talk to each candidate while I was up there. I learned a lot about campaigning while I was up there too. I was able to make phone calls and also go out into the streets and hold signs to raise awareness to go vote for a particular candidate. Before I went on this trip I had the mindset of voting for Rudolph Giuliani and I told myself that I would not be influenced by any other candidate, but after the experience of listening to each candidate and also meeting and talking to each one I am now in a great state of confusion for who I am for. I still like Giuliani but I still have interests for McCain, Huckabee, and Romney. I suppose I will still have to do more research in order to make my final decision for when I get to vote in the Virginia Primaries.
I had so much fun on this trip. I have made memories that will last me a lifetime and I hope to go up there again in four years for the next primary. I loved this experience and I feel it was the best class that I had taken in a while. Much thanks to my professors for hooking me up with different presidential candidates to meet and making this so much fun for me. You really came through. – Matt Webster